Verification problem with command line tools on MacOS

I am trying to run the cli-kintone command line tool on MacOS Ventura on a Silicon machine. Trying to tun cli-kintone results in the following error:

“cli-kintone” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

It further says that because the app cannot verified to be free of malware, it will not run.

I have not installed 3rd party CLI tools before. How can I get these to run>

Thanks, Jason

Hello @jhbarker ,

Welcome to the Kintone Developer Forum & thank you for posting your question!

More information, please - recreate the situation

To better help you out, please provide more information regarding the following:

• Which version of cli-kintone are you trying to install?
    • Currently, the latest one is v1.8.2
  • Which version of Node.js are you running?

If possible, also provide the exact error message you are getting.

Successful install

I just successfully installed cli-kintone on my Mac.

Device specs:

• Device: MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2023
  • Chip: Apple M2 Pro
  • macOS: Ventura 13.5 Update (22G74)

cli-kintone specs:

Troubleshooting

Here are some things you can try to troubleshoot:

1. Verify that you have the latest LTS version of Node.js installed
  2. Verify that you are installing the latest version of cli-kintone

Additional Resources

Thanks for the help!

I had tried 1.8.1 but just downloaded 1.8.2 and had the same problem.

I have not installed Node.js. I did not know installing Node.js was needed, so I installed v 18.17.0.

It still gives me an error when I do the following:

I unzipped the file, cd'd in the terminal to that resulting directory in my Downloads folder, and tried to run the app with "./cli-kintone".

I then got the following error message:

FYI, I have a Windows 11 ARM virtual machine.
I could run the CLI.exe (version 1.8.1) in the command shell there and export Kintone records as needed.

All I need to do for now is run the CLI tools to export app records as CSVs regularly (i.e., to automate backups).

However, I need to do this natively on the Mac, as I'd rather not have the Windows VM constantly running.

Confession: I am a newbie with respect to development. I have written Shell scripts and the like to get work done, but I have done minimal formal programming.

Thanks for your help and patience,
Jason

Thank you for the additional information @jhbarker .

I have not installed Node.js. I did not know installing Node.js was needed, so I installed v 18.17.0.

Node.js should not be required to be installed but wanted to rule it out.

After reading Apple's support docs, it seems your macOS security settings are causing the issue.

Please try this - disable macOS Gatekeeper

To enable the Anywhere option under Allow applications downloaded from setting, please run this command on your terminal

sudo spctl --master-disable

Then if you go to your macOS System Settings > Privacy & Security > Allow applications downloaded from, you should see the following:

After confirming your settings looks like this, please restart your Mac and try again to install the latest cli-kintone.

Please let me know how it goes.

P.S. I went ahead and submitted a feature request on cli-kintone GitHub repo to address the issue you have encountered:

That makes sense. I had read elsewhere that to run non-notarized binaries required either turning off gatekeeper or manually changing some flags (not sure which ones).

In any case, I will not be turning off gatekeeper. I do not think the CLI function is so important that I will downgrade my machine's security. Thank you for submitting the request for notarization. That is the actual solution. I do not think a developer should require its users to disable a central security feature. Thanks, Jason

1 Like

I do not think the CLI function is so important that I will downgrade my machine's security.

Totally agree.

If you can, please comment on my feature request so it gets higher priority :pray:.|
Thanks ~

1 Like